Far South Coast Branch
The Far South Coast Branch of the AWL began in October 2000 and is located in the Bega Valley Shire, which is approximately 500 kilometres south of Sydney. It consists of a group of dedicated volunteers who work tirelessly in their efforts for the care and welfare of animals.
We have rehomed over 3000 animals since the Branch began, including dogs, cats, rabbits, sheep, horses, goats, pigs and birds.
What We Do
Some of our activities include:
- Our Branch conducts extensive de-sexing programs where we heavily subsidise or meet the full cost of de-sexing for companion animals for those members of our community who cannot afford to pay for the procedure.
- Our branch offers subsidised de-sexing vouchers to pet owners who hold a Centrelink Pension Card and who need financial assistance to de-sex their pet throughout the year as well as during our twice yearly campaigns.
- We are responsible for all re-homing of dogs from the Bega Valley Shire Pound.
- The Branch devotes much of its time and efforts to fundraising activities such as garage sales, markets stalls, raffles and special event days. Each year we launch our Calendar of Second Chances which features animals surrendered and then re-homed that year. Our other major fundraiser is Santa Paws which is held in Cobargo and Merimbula. Each of these events is sponsored by local businesses so moneys raised on the day go to our de-sexing and re-homing efforts.
How You Can Help
If you’d like to help out our branch you can;
- Volunteer - our branch relies on volunteers to help with all activities. If you can help with fundraising, administration, transportation or foster caring we would love to hear from you.
- Join as a member
- Donate pet items
- Donate financially. All donations over $2 are tax deductible. Please contact our general enquiries number – 0400 372 609.
Where to Donate
Our branch has five drop-off bins in the Bega Valley Shire - located at Coles in Bega and Eden, and Woolworths in Merimbula, Tura Beach and Bermagui.
Meetings are held at the Tathra Bowling Club, Dikera Road, Tathra bi-monthly at 11.00 am on the 4th Sunday of the month. Visitors are welcome. Please email us at email@example.com for our next meeting date.
Areas We Cover
Our branch covers the area from Wallaga Lake in the North, Victorian border in the South, and Wyndham to Bemboka in the West. We also support the Mallacoota, Bombala, Cooma and Eurobodalla areas as needed.
General Enquiries: 0400 372 609
Adoption and Surrender Enquiries: 0400 372 609
Mail: PO Box 1210, Bega NSW 2550