Who we are
Animal Welfare League NSW (AWL NSW) is a registered charity that has been operating for 60 years. We provide expert care to surrendered, neglected and abandoned companion animal across New South Wales.
Our vision is that all companion animals in NSW have a safe and loving home. We strive for this through our work in rehoming, education and discount desexing programs. We also send out our inspectors who are authorised to investigate allegations of animal cruelty.
As part of our Getting to Zero philosophy (G2Z) we are also committed to achieving zero euthanasia of healthy and treatable cats and dogs.
We have one shelter which is open 7 days a week if you would like to adopt an animal from us, or if you live in a regional area you can contact your closest branch (only some branches offer rehoming services).
Read more about what we do here.
The 2016 Annual Report for Animal Welfare League NSW Demonstrates the incredible efforts of our volunteers, members and staff who enhance the lives of animals every day – with over 11,500 animals cared for and 8,676 animals desexed in the past year.
- View the 2016 Annual Report
- View the 2016 Abridged Financial Statements
- View the 2016 Financial Report
Committees and Advisory Boards
Since AWL NSW's inception in 1958, we have continued to be a leader in current practice relating to animal welfare issues. AWL is an active member or participant in the following committees and groups.
- Getting 2 Zero
- Ag & Animal Services Emergency Management Committee (NSW Disaster Plan)
- Animal Management in Rural and Regional Indigenous Communities (AMRRIC)
- Animal Welfare Advisory Council (AWAC)
- Animal Welfare League Australia (AWLA)
- Australian Animal Welfare Strategy (AAWS)
- Australian Companion Animals Council (ACAC)
- National Parks and Wildlife Service - Deer Program
- School Animals Care Ethics Committee (SACEC)
- University of Wollongong Animal Ethics Committee
Board of Directors of AWL NSW
- Christine Richardson (President)
- Glyn Boobyer
- Narelle Cocks
- Jeanette Emanuel
- David Hope
- Audrey McGeown
- Joanne Righetti
- Shawn Skyring
- Annette Tomlinson
Company Secretary - Maryse MacMurdo
To view the Constitution of Animal Welfare League NSW click here