Fleas can be a real pain, but they can cause a lot more harm than just making your pet itchy. To help you get the jump on fleas, we’ve put together some flea facts so you can better understand these pesky parasites.
- A single flea can stay for up to 3 hours in one place on your dog, biting and feeding on your dog’s blood
- Fleas can transmit diseases and other parasites, such as tapeworms
- Untreated infestations can result in anemia from the blood loss
- Some pets can develop Flea Allergy Dermatitis
- Female fleas can lay up to 50 eggs per day
- Their life cycle is flexible — they can delay their life cycle stages until the conditions are perfect
The best way to manage fleas is to prevent an infestation from occurring. We stock Advocate and Seresto, which kill fleas without them needing to bite your dog. If you’re not sure which product is best for your pet, you can find more information below and ask us during your next visit to our veterinary clinic.
Fighting fleas and worms with Advocate!
Advocate protects dogs and cats from fleas, heartworm and intestinal nematode worms. The monthly spot-on treatment works quickly by affecting fleas when they come into contact with your pet’s hair and skin, stopping biting in 3-5 minutes and killing reinfesting fleas within 1 hour. Chewable tablets work from the inside and pets absolutely have to be bitten by the parasites in order for the parasites to die. So to get the jump on fleas, use Advocate all year round.
Get combined tick and flea protection with Seresto!
Did you know that ticks can not only cause fatal paralysis but they can potentially transmit serious blood-borne infections? For long-lasting tick and flea protection for your dog, a Seresto® collar is your solution. It provides 4 months of tick and flea protection for your dog, and these parasites are killed on contact – without needing to bite first.